Kayak London offers bespoke coaching, courses and guiding around the UK. Check out their upcoming courses and get some excellent training and British Canoe Union / UKCC qualifications.
BCU 4 Star Leader Sea Assessment 29-30 March 2014
This two-day assessment is designed to show that a successful candidate has the appropriate level of skill to safely lead competent paddlers on coastal journeys in moderate water conditions.
Achieving the award demonstrates that a candidate is competent to judge the conditions and the standard of the group to make appropriate decisions on the water, while showing an understanding of the need to modify plans when required. The assessment will be against criteria set out in the BCU 4 Star Sea syllabus and will cover the following areas:
Personal Paddling Skills
- Lifting, carrying and launching/landing
- Efficient and effective sea paddling skills
- Forward paddling
- Reversing and stopping
- Maintaining direction
- Changing direction
- Moving sideways
- Support strokes
- Practical navigation
Rescue Skills, Safety, Leadership and Group Management
- Boat and shore based safety and rescue skills
- Incident management and first aid in the 4 star environment
- Being an effective team leader and team member in rescues/incidents
- Application of leadership
- Leadership strategies, judgement and decision making
- Safety awareness and risk management
- Group control and management
- Safety (includes coastguard and rescue services)
- Hypothermia/first aid
- Group awareness and management
- Etiquette (includes collision regulations and signals)
- General (and historical)
- Leadership responsibilities
- Water features/hazards
Be 16 or over; endorsed LR form; BCU 3 Star Sea; BCU 4 Star training (or equivalent evidence); BCU Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning (or equivalent course); a recognised first-aid award (minimum 16 hours).
For syllabus details, visit the BCU website.
Please use the ‘Get Tickets’ link to book.
For more information e-mail email@example.com or call on 07973832763.