Celebrate kayaking and canoeing at Paddlefest this September at Shadwell Basin
Paddlefest is aimed at people who already kayak or canoe, who want to gain new skills, try out new things and socialise with other paddlers. The Paddlefest location is a great asset, with easy access to the tidal Thames and use of a large Victorian shipping basin. Paddlefest will be using both of these for a fun filled and action packed weekend, involving workshops, river trips, demo boats, trade stands, evening lectures and a bar.
The cost of the event is £30. Accommodation is available on the Saturday night for £10 and is limited to 30 people. Arrangements are basic involving camp beds in our two halls. Please request after booking. Parking and boat storage is available overnight if staying.
Once you have booked you can choose your preferred workshops and time slots over the weekend via email. Please see below for workshop times and information.
- Intro to Tidal Paddling – Aimed at 1-2 Star paddlers who have not paddled in tidal environments but are interested in experiencing the tidal Thames, developing their skills and river knowledge. (Saturday afternoon/ Sunday afternoon)
- Thames Trips (Westminster) – Paddle the Thames and experience some of London’s most iconic landmarks, paddle under Tower Bridge, view the South Bank and the London Eye all from the River Thames. Aimed at 2 stars and above with previous tidal experience. (Saturday morning/ Sunday Morning)
- Shadwell Pool Architecture Tour (River) –Take to the water in some kayak doubles and enjoy a guided tour around the Shadwell pool area of the River Thames. Explore the architecture by kayak that makes this part of London Unique. Suitable for 1 star and above. (Saturday morning/ Sunday Morning)
- River Fitness Paddle – Paddle against the tide to Greenwich and experience the full force of the tidal Thames. Suitable for strong paddlers only. (Sunday Morning)
- Incident Management/ Rescue Skills – Practice and share rescue skills, refresh your knowledge to deal with demanding situations on the water. (Sunday morning/ afternoon)
- Open Canoe Solo Skills – Come and learn the art of solo canoeing, move through the water with grace and progress your canoe paddling. (Saturday morning/ Sunday morning)
- Bush Craft Skills – Learn the art of fire lighting, tarp set ups and other skills for the moments when you live out of your kayak. (Saturday afternoon)
- Canoe Polo – Come down and enjoy a game of canoe polo, compete against other teams and have some fun. (Sunday Morning/ Afternoon)
- Canoe/ Kayak Games – Use our boats, your own boat or demo boats and mess around on the water playing a mix of games and challenges. (Saturday Afternoon/ Sunday Afternoon)
- Boat Repair – Learn how to repair boats both composite and fibreglass for short term/ long term situations. (Sunday afternoon)
- Forward Paddling Unravelled – Improve your forward paddling technique with this in-depth workshop, working to progress the way you paddle helping efficiency and speed. (Saturday Morning)
- First Aid for Canoeists – A tailored first aid workshop looking especially at scenarios involving kayaking related incidents on the water and how to deal with them. (tbc)
Book a place here: Paddlefest 2014
For more information, sign up to the Shadwell Basin mailing list. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org